Thursday, May 22, 2008

GO JAZZ


Lynn and I went on our first date in a long time on May 9 because we had been given tickets to the Jazz play off game that night by our good friend Doug Wing. We were on the 13th row right on the half line. We decided to make a day of it and went to the Church History Museum first. Then we went to the food courts for dinner, as this was a not spend much money date.


We hurried through dinner because we thought the game started at 7:00, silly us. You can see that we have never done this before and really are not avid Jazz fans. So we sat out in front of the building and watched all the people and pre-game things going on there. I am an avid people watcher and I can pass time away on that which is what I did because we got to the Energy Solution building at 6:00 and the game didn't start until 8:30. We finally were allowed to go in at 7:00. The teams were warming up and it was quite interesting to see all that they go through to get ready for the game.


I tried to take a picture of Lynn with my cell phone. This is the best I could do. The phone was getting ready to die, so could not take very many pictures.



Lynn took my picture and he did a much better job than me. This was just before the game started. Boy, did I ever get an education on what really goes on at professional basketball games. You don't see anything on TV except the game. I have never heard so much noise in my entire life. Doug's sister-in-law was sitting by us and she kindly shared some ear plugs with us. Even with these in, the noise only calmed down to bearable. Whenever time was called, some action was going on down on the court. The Jazz dancers, throwing balls etc into the crowd, Jazz bear jumping on trampolines, something. It was amazing and quite enjoyable. You really cannot get bored at a professional basketball game. Just watching and listening to the avid fans could take your whole attention if you let it.


Half time was very entertaining as well because it was a playoff game and so they had an act from Las Vegas where 2 men could stand on each other with one hand and extend themselves into all kinds of positions. It was also amazing and entertaining.


The Jazz were certainly not playing to their potential this night. They were behind by 20 points most of the night. They would catch up some and then the Lakers would pull ahead. The fans were very verbal about the refs at one point calling them names in a unison shout. The second half was spent mostly standing up as the fans in front were very intense and you couldn't see unless you stood or watched the Megatron, which was interesting also except you only saw where the ball was.


It was 2 minutes before the game would be over and the Jazz were behind by 8. Lynn and I decided we could leave and get the parking lot and out of Salt Lake City before the rush. So we did. The Jazz surprised us and came very close to tying or winnng but losing in the end. This was a great experience for us. Everyone should go to at least one playoff game in the Energy Solution. It was illuminating and most interesting. If you ever get a chance to go, jump on it.


As a light side note, President Monson was in the KSL box just straight across from us and it was fun to see him there. He was in his suit, very calm, but did clap at times.

GO JAZZ!!!! (NEXT YEAR)

4 comments:

Goofyness said...

Well mom I am glad that you had fun. However, when I told ray that you had tickets he was extremely jealous and asked how come you didn't give them to him. I am sure he will get over it. Anyway I am glad you did something fun.

Abby said...

Last time we went to a playoff game, Matt just stared at the Jumbotron. I kept telling him the point of actually being at the arena was to watch all the action on the court, but he just kept staring at the screen. At least you guys have fun.

Bailey Family said...

glad that you had a great time. but I don't think that I'd ever go, I'm not a sports fan. I'd just send the boys. Love ya

sheridy

Here at home said...

That's great that Pres. Monson was there. Just goes to show he's human and loves sports. Isn't it awesome.
SOunds like a lot of fun. I hope you get to go on more of those dates.